Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Boscos Squared

Beer + pizza + patio = Boscos Squared. A few weeks ago , I gathered a group of our closest friends and we all surprised Jon on his 30th birthday at Boscos. Why Boscos? Sentimentally, because it is one of the first places Jon and I hung out. Practically, because it can accommodate large groups and takes reservations. Aesthetically, it has a fabulous patio - if not, the best in Memphis. And, of course the food is good and has enough variety for everyone's tastes. First, let's talk about the patio. I think Boscos has one of the best patios in Memphis. To be honest, their patio is what draws me most to the restaurant. (Unfortunately, we didn't get to sit out on the patio for Jon's birthday due to previous thunderstorms, but it was still a great time.) Memphis does not have many patios :( It's something I've always been disappointed about and has lead me to desire an explanation behind our patio-less city. When the weather is right, this is one of my favorite places to come get a few drinks, enjoy some pizza, and indulge in great conversations with friends. To me, the patio and atmosphere make up for what the food does not. Even if you aren't able to sit on the patio, the atmosphere inside is wonderful as well! It's got that rustic brewery feel. Now, I'm not hating on Boscos food - it's just not something I would rave about. However, after frequenting Boscos, aka "the" patio, I (this is just my opinion) think you're best off ordering the fried artichoke hearts for an app and then sharing one of their delicious pizzas - the California (Chevre cheese, mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and pine nuts on an olive oil crust) is my favorite. I've heard many of my friends rave about the Gorgonzola Pear Salad. I'm not a fan of pears so I usually stay away from this, but if you're a pear lover I say "Go for it!" The fried artichoke hearts are scrumptious! They come with a buttermilk garlic dipping sauce - mmmmmm :) Also, Boscos also has a very delightful Sunday Jazz Brunch with all kinds of omelets, various egg benedicts and hash dishes, waffles, burgers, etc. It's a good hearty brunch, but once again the atmosphere may make the food taste just a little bit better. Another plus, the prices are pretty reasonable....$10-$15 range.
And, how can I blog about Boscos and not mention their BEER - what they boast about! I'm not an obsessive beer lover like some I know. Honestly, when I eat out rarely do I order beer over a glass of wine. However, I have tried Boscos beer sampler and it was a lot of fun and tasty! I recommend it for you beer connoisseurs. Oh and those aren't my blue plaid shorts....I took the pic off the world wibe web.


So, there you have it - Boscos Squared has some positives and some negatives. I'm happy to say that I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I'll keep going back for more. I give Boscos Squared 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment